As a follow up to my Tether Motorola Droid with Ubuntu 9.10 and Ubuntu 10.04 article I have decided to post the steps for Windows 7.
- Grab and install the latest Droid Drivers: http://www.motorola.com/Support/US-EN/Support-Homepage/Software_and_Drivers/USB-and-PC-Charging-Drivers/
- Grab and install the latest OpenVPN: http://www.openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/downloads.html
- Grab the latest Android SDK and extract it: http://developer.android.com/sdk/
- Create a file called azilink.ovpn file and enter into it:
remote 127.0.0.1 41927 tcp-client
ifconfig 192.168.56.2 192.168.56.1
route 0.0.0.0 184.108.40.206
route 220.127.116.11 18.104.22.168
dhcp-option DNS 192.168.56.1
- Create a file called azilink.bat and enter into it:
"[path to android sdk]\tools\adb.exe" forward tcp:41927 tcp:41927
openvpn "[path to azilink.ovpn]"
- Set your Droid to debugging mode: Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging
- Grab and install the latest Azilink .apk file onto your Droid: http://azilink.googlecode.com/ (This can be done by pointing the Droid’s web browser directly to the download link or loading it onto the SD card. Either way you may need to go to Settings -> Applications -> Unknown sources to allow it to be installed.)
- Start up Azilink on your Droid and select Service active.
- Right-click azilink.bat and select Run as Administrator.
If all these steps went well you should be able to access the Internet on your computer via Azilink’s tethering capabilities. Be sure to check out the About screen in the Azilink application on the Droid to see if any of that applies to you.
A few things worth mentioning:
- This method does not require your Droid to be rooted.
- I am under the impression that these steps will also work for Windows Vista but I can not confirm that.
- I am under the impression that these steps will also work for Windows XP with the
route-method exeline removed from azilink.ovpn but I can not confirm that.
- I am running Droid firmware 2.1, OpenVPN 2.1.1, Azilink 2.0.2, and MotoConnect 4.6.0.