Dungeons Keeper 2 on Ubuntu with Wine
Dungeon Keeper 2 was always one of my personal favorites. Seeing my lovely girl playing it on Windows Vista made me want to play a game so I dug it out from a pile of old discs and installed it on Windows 7. It would not start. I tried compatibility modes, sacrificing a dog, and a third thing. It simply, positively would not start. So I thought “screw this, I am going to Linux.”
These are the steps I took to get Dungeon Keeper 2 1.7 working on Ubuntu 9.10 x64:
- Prepare Apt: In a terminal type
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
- Update Apt: In a terminal type
sudo apt-get update
- Update Wine: In a terminal type
sudo apt-get upgrade
(Note that this will upgrade everything. You can use System -> Administration -> Update Manager to upgrade only the related Wine packages.)
- Fire up regedit and set the following keys: In a terminal type
HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Bullfrog Productions Ltd -> Dungeon Keeper II -> Configuration -> Video -> EngineID = 4
HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Bullfrog Productions Ltd – >Dungeon Keeper II -> Configuration -> Video -> ScreenHardware3D = 0
HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Wine -> DirectInput -> MouseWarpOverride = “disable”
If any of these keys do not exist create them. Running the game and using Alt-F4 to exit it will create most of– if not all of– these.
MouseWarpOverridehad to be created in my case and I set it as a string.
- Run the game: In a terminal browse to the Dungeon Keeper 2 directory and type
One might note that I never actually installed the game. I had it installed on Windows and I simply moved the files over to my EXT4 partition (running them off of my NTFS partition probably would have worked just as well). I also grabbed a no-CD crack so I would not need the disc (buy the game because it is damn well worth it). I have not yet gotten the mouse perfect but I am pretty happy with it right now. All the applications I had open at the time seemed to disappear but were still running. I do not know why this was and I currently have no idea where to look to fix it.
As of Ubuntu 10.10 there is no need to add the Wine repositories (the Prepare Apt step).